Wednesday, October 6, 2010

L: 5th and 6th October, Leigh Ck to Broken Hill

I left the caravan at Leigh Creek and went (120 km) into the Vulkathuna - Gammon Ranges National Park for a spot of walking and sightseeing. I managed to snatch a 2nd breakfast at a cafe at Iga Warta. The aboriginal manager here gives language lessons and I noticed him on TV news in the evening hosting a young Danish chef who was interested in the bush tucker.

The roads are a bit rough in parts but the scenery and in particular the wildflowers at this time make it very worthwhile. This is the Italowie Gorge:

My first sighting of a Sturt Desert Pea, on the road to Grindells Hut, this was definitely a highlight for me, the only others I had seen were cultivated in a garden in Alice Springs :

More flowers alongside the same road:

I climbed off-track and walked along the top of some of the hills, they look very dry, barren and foreboding at a distance but close up there are heaps of flowers:
Self -portrait:


This Blue-Tongue Lizard thinks I can't see him:

This is a Shingle-back lizard crossing the road. They look a bit like straightened out black puddings from the distance. Some of them sadly end up as pudding on the road.

Next day (Wed) after a lie-in I set off late for Broken Hill. Evening closes in as I approach Broken Hill under this ominous sky. There is a bit of wildlife on the side of the road at this time and extra care was needed. I spotted an emu and a kangaroo which came close.


No comments:

Post a Comment